RE: TR3A Electrical Problem - Fuel Gauge

To: "'John Edwin Pike'" <toadhall@pnc.com.au>, Triumph Digest <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A Electrical Problem - Fuel Gauge
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:12:03 -0500
A three part suggestion:
It might be mechanical:
        A.      When the tank is virtually empty,  open the filler and
locate the float/arm with a flashlight and coathanger hook.  Move the float
all the way up and down, listening carefully for any scraping sounds that
may arise when it drags on the side of the tank.
It might be electrical:
        B.      Pull the sender out of the tank,  turn on the ignition and
move the float up and down through its normal range of motion.  The gauge
should track smoothly although it may not be entirely linear. If it doesn't,
take a very close look at the sender's wiper and windings, as something
maybe amiss.
        C.      A longshot-  Any chance the gauge needle is hanging up on
the inside of the glass lens or the gauge face?  look for any scraping on
the gauge face...
Good Luck
Bob Westerdale
59 3A   TS36967