TR3A Electrical Problem - Fuel Gauge

To: "John Edwin Pike" <toadhall@pnc.com.au>
Subject: TR3A Electrical Problem - Fuel Gauge
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 18:46:36 -0500
Cc: "Triumph Digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "John Edwin  Pike"
>The fuel gauge in my 3A reads "full" until I've used around 3/4 of the
tank.
The needle then comes off the stops, and acts as though the total capacity
is
around 3 gallons.  That is, when there's about 1 1/2 gallons left the gauge
indicates "half", and when the tank is empty that's what the gauge reads.

Being somewhat electrically challenged, my trouble-shooting to date has
been
to remove the sender unit, clean the contacts on the resistor, and clean
the
various earth contacts. None of this has made any difference.

Problem:  How do I convince the gauge that the tank capacity is actually 12
gallons? And do  I have a problem with the gauge, the sender or the wiring
in
between ??
<

John,

Have you double-checked the connections at the gauge.  I am not terribly
familiar with the gauge used in the TR3 but there are three connections:
Earth, Batt and Sender.  Obviously the sender is connected but one or both
of the others may not be.  Please not that the earth connection may be
through the gauge case.

Double check these connections.

Dave