Re: TR3B with 'wrong' (TR4) engine

To: Herald948@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR3B with 'wrong' (TR4) engine
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 01:28:18 -0700
Cc: staffel@home.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Herald948@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/12/2000 12:35:19 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> staffel@home.com writes:
>
> > I also noted that the TR3B on e-bay did have the TR3 heater garden hose
> >  style water valve, but was 'taken' most by the emissions hoses. Didn't
> >  all the TR3's have the breather tube from the block, no vent in the
> >  valve cover?
>
> TR3s and most all TR3As, yes. But it seems possible that some late TR3Bs
> might have had some "closed" breather system via the vent or port in the
> valve cover, particularly those sold in California. I seem to recall that CA
> required PCV a year or so -- 1961, perhaps? -- before the rest of the US. My
> own (soon to be Brad's, but aren't most Triumphs? :-) ) TR3B has the early
> TR4-style valve cover with the brass plug fitted where the vent hose later
> was taken off.

I can only go by a concurrently-produced car, the early TR4. My first
one, a mid-year `62 (CT2334L), with an original engine, had a road draft
tube and SUs. What the folks on the west coast got, I cannot say for
sure, but early California VWs (`62-`63 range) I've seen did not have
PCV, so I doubt it was quite as early as `61 that it was required there.
Requirements mandated in `68 for the rest of the country (PCV, decel
throttle positioner) were likely implemented around `65 in CA.

Cheers.

--

Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM