Re: TR's and cold weather

To: ron bonelli <ronbonelli2000@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: TR's and cold weather
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 13:27:34 -0500
Cc: TR8 List <TR8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>, TR List <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by ron bonelli
>I agree with the reliability of triumphs in cold weather as my wife & I
drove our 1963TR3B as a daily driver for 7 years total in upstate New
York. It was my only car from 63-66 before I tied the knot & then she
wanted to drive it all the time. Never failed to start,just pull the choke
all the way out,don't touch the gas pedal-let it warm at least a minute &
feed the choke in as it got to operating temperature. Not bad on the snow
either if you fed the power gradually & we never used snow tires.But we
were a bit crazy,we would go drive the TR3B before the snow plows got out
to clear the roads. You all know the dumb things we all did when we were
young! Don't know how the 8 would do in the snow but probably OK if you go
easy on the gas. Later.
<

I've never driven the 8 in the snow but in the rain it gets squirrly.  The
weight distribution is about the same as the 79 Mustang I used to drive and
it was terrible in snow.  The weight distribution is better on the TR3 so
don't expect the 8 to be similar.  Perhaps a Quaife will help.  ;-)

Dave