Re: TR's and cold weather

To: 105671.471@compuserve.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net, TR8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Re: TR's and cold weather
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 16:39:24 EST
In a message dated 12/17/00 12:35:41 PM EDT, 105671.471@compuserve.com writes:

> Conclusion:There is a myth that british cars don't run in cold weather but
>  a properly tuned car runs just fine.

My Heralds usually started even when temps were down around -20F or worse.
Same with the TR3A, if the battery was up to it. For some reason, my Mk.3
Spitfire usually started well at low winter temps ONLY if I'd remembered to
put enough "drygas" in the gas tank (otherwise the carbs would ice up --
something that went on for 5-6 years, so I don't think it was a one-time
thing). The GT6+ was mediocre in very cold weather, but that was just as
well, since I never thought much of its ability in snow!

Of course, in very, very cold weather shifting for the first couple of
minutes was a very slow and deliberate process. That EP90 weight got real
thick in the cold....

--Andy Mace