Oil 'Weeps'/Dipstick/Slave Cyl Bolt/Pan/Spin on Adaptor

To: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil 'Weeps'/Dipstick/Slave Cyl Bolt/Pan/Spin on Adaptor
From: "Sherman D. Taffel" <staffel@home.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 02:02:28 -0400
What a little snow does to our mentalities. All we can do is 'think
about' the things we want to resolve.

In this thread I've done the following:

Spin on oil filter adapter. Cleaned the 'dizzy plate' and the filter
head recess where the non-functioning seal fits- used 3M weatherstrip
adhesive and a thin spin on nuit to secure the dizzy- no leaks in past
1100 miles.

Stopped leak from oil pan bolt /nut where clutch stay rod attaches with
aviation gasket cement and flat washer under lockwasher

Stopped high RPM oil spash out oil dipstick hole, first as Brian Sanborn
stated with new felt washer (in fact two), but when that didn't solve it
completely I cleaned the dipstick well with carb cleaner, used
screwdriver to 'spread' upper double metal of Dipstick prong slightly
(2MM?), wrapped with old fashion first aid  (appropriate for a TR4)
Adhesive tape, reinstalled the two felt washers (one 1/2 fit inside the
'washer recess'. This made for a 'tight fit' and reduced the weep to a
just 'feelable' after 100 miles of rallying.

Also make sure the rear bolt in the cyulindr head is tight- if you don't
have the cyl head oil feed line attached, if you do-check the banjo
fitting.

Of course the traditional wep down the back is from the valve cover
gasket- sometimes this can be deceptive - until you trace down the back
above the tranny.

To eliminate 'sources'. Clean the area well as Brad and others said, and
put a rooled paper towel between the firewall and the back of the cyl
head below the throttle linkage cross bar. This way you can 'test' the
rear of the valve cover or head and confirm the weep is or is not there.
Before I upgraded to the ribbed valve cover- I had a periodic leak from
the old warped edges of the original cover. It seemed everything was
fine after new gasket and adhesiuves were used- byut everytime the OAT
temperature changed 20^- I'd find a new weep there.

If you have a oil line going to the gauge (as on TR3/4's) the junction
between the metal pipe and the plastic line is also a deceptive puppy.
especially with cklean oil- it weepes down the line to the fuel pump
area of the block- then down on the clutch stay rod- and one thinks the
weep is oil pan gasket or rear seal-
of course this all adds 'British Perfume' to the exhaust.....

I do have an oil pan gasket weep now from the rear oil pan boltS area-
got the new gasket, but tonight , with the car cacooned under cotton and
tarp and under 4" of snow- I can't get to it ....

But it's so cold right now- that 'Its not even marking Greg's territory.

Sherman

Sherman D. Taffel
Ciolumbia MD
TR4 CT40054L or maybe the typo CT$0054L is more accurate