Gearbox Identification Questions - More Information

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gearbox Identification Questions - More Information
From: "Don Clark" <d@seanet.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 09:33:01 -0700
Sorry I forgot to post that it's a 72 TR6, I hate it when I forget that.

I'm starting to think that the G is a C on the gearbox serial number.
Michael Porter pointed that possibility out to me. The one other clue that
leads me to believe that the box is from a TR4 is that the input shaft
extends beyond the front of the bellhousing by half an inch or so.

This leads me to some more questions:

It appears that as long as you have an OD mainshaft in your TR gearbox you
can install either a J-type or an A-type overdrive without changing the
mainshaft. Is this true?

Can I/should I use this transmission in my TR6?

What about the extra half inch of input spigot, can I ignore it? It looks
like there's enough room in there for it.

Thanks again,
Don