Re: Gearbox Identification Questions - More Information

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gearbox Identification Questions - More Information
From: "Nelson A. Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 18:18:49 -0400

| Sorry I forgot to post that it's a 72 TR6, I hate it when I forget that.
|
| I'm starting to think that the G is a C on the gearbox serial number.
| Michael Porter pointed that possibility out to me. The one other clue that
| leads me to believe that the box is from a TR4 is that the input shaft
| extends beyond the front of the bellhousing by half an inch or so.
|
| This leads me to some more questions:
|
| It appears that as long as you have an OD mainshaft in your TR gearbox you
| can install either a J-type or an A-type overdrive without changing the
| mainshaft. Is this true?

Don,

The TRF catalog says the A type and J type  OD mainshafts are different.
The  J type shaft is probably a couple inches longer since everything is
futher to the rear to make room for the adapter housing.  Either mainshaft
can probabaly be used in about any gearbox as long as the shaft matches the
little bearing in the input shaft (earlier gearboxes had a pressed in
bearing, later ones had a bearing that slides in.)  There were different A
type mainshafts, one for each bearing configuration.  It appears the J type
shaft worked only with the later slide in bearing.

Nelson