Re: Wire Wheel Question

To: <RTriplett@bjservices.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel Question
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 12:56:05 EDT
In a message dated Mon, 2 Apr 2001 12:36:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
RTriplett@bjservices.com writes:

<< I'm getting ready to install wires on my TR3 and understand that the studs
for the hubs need to be shorter in order to fit.  I'd prefer not to cut the
studs, and have heard of using washers to extend the hubs.  Is this an
acceptable procedure?  If so, about how many/what size washers need to be used?

Richard, there were any number of Triumph Service Bulletins that recommended
(mandated, even) that the studs be cut. For example, bulletin # T-64-23 notes:
"When converting from disc wheels to wire wheels on TR4 models in service, it
is essential that the original wheel studs are shortened by approximately 5/16"
when installing the hub extensions."

Alternatively, I'd think a full spacer of that same thickness, rather than
individual washers for each stud, would be preferable. The TR bolt pattern is a
fairly common one, so it seems likely that spacers might(?) be readily
available in auto parts stores or speed shops.

--Andy Mace