re: First Start of the Year - TR6

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: First Start of the Year - TR6
From: jay_welch@juno.com
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 12:49:07 -0400
Hello Listers,

I got a freebie from a guy in April of 2000 that had been sitting in his
yard since 1981.  I heard about it from a third party and didn't really
expect to find a TR6 when I got there. He bought it from a dealer with
every intention of fixing it up but never did get around to it.  Car was
in the mud over the frame.  Took it out of the mud using a flatbed.  Once
the rear wheels freed up from dragging it on the street, I stuck it in
gear and the engine turned.  After I got it home I checked the oil and
sniffed the gas.  Gas didn't really smell dead - he might have added some
prior to me showing up.  Reconnected rotted fuel line at the carbs, a
little starting fluid and had it started in 10 minutes with 60 to 70 lbs
of oil pressure.  A little leaking from the carbs but really ran well for
the circumstances.  This engine, whose number surprisingly enough is only
7 digits from the original, is going into my driver. This car was
terribly rotted but it was amazing how easily most of the bolts were
removed.

Happy motoring,
Jay Welch
Abington, MA
1971 TR6 project and 1973 TR6 driver coming out of a coma soon
Member "Cape Cod British Car Club"
http://clubs.hemmings.com/capecodbritish/