More non-original Tachometers: Smiths Chronometric

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: More non-original Tachometers: Smiths Chronometric
From: Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 21:52:43 -0500
I have a related question on non-original instruments....

I have a Smiths Chronometric tachometer in my 4A. I was told that it was
obtained
from a "works" car at some time in the past (before 1982).  What sort of
"works" car I never thought
to ask, and now I have lost touch with that owner.

Does anyone know what cars used the Smiths Chronometric Tach from the factory?

I was glancing through a book on "Works Triumphs" by Robson. In some photos the
dash of
the car is shown.  The works TR4s only had the usual Jaeger tach.  However the
TRS cars
had an exact duplicatre of my tachometer.  Is mine from a TRS works car?  We
will never know.
I doubt it was from anything quite as special as that.  I would like to know
where these could have
been found in the past.  I have never seen one of these tachs for sale anywhere!

-Tony