Re: Brake binding

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake binding
From: "Roger Colson" <sassamon@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 23:45:43 -0400
Cc: sheilac@direct.ca
Hello Shiela,

Last spring I had a similar problem with my TR3.  I asked the
collective wisdom of the list and was able to get it fixed.

Here is a copy of the email I sent out after we got it fixed.

Hello fellow listers,

Just got back from a visit with my TR3.

You may remember that I had put out a request for help Sunday
about
my brakes binding.

Many responses were received.  The responses brought out three
areas to
check.

1,  Rear brake adjustment.
2,  Master cylinder / pedal box misadjustment.
3.  Brake compensator.

When I arrived at the garage this evening I put the car on jack
stands and
adjusted the rear brakes again.  This time I followed the
instructions in
the Haynes manual for adjusting the handbrake cables.  Every
thing checked
out ok.

Then I went to the pedal box.  There I found that the MC pushrod
was
riding on the pedal stop bolt.  I tightened the clevis on the pushrod
until the pushrod was no longer riding on the stop bolt.

Took her out for a test drive and no brake binding.  Hooray!  Big
GRIN.
Even the rain with no top didn't dampen my spirits.

Now to get her legal.

A big thank you to everyone who replied.

Roger

Check the push rod adjustment.
 I thought the problem was repaired. NOT!!! I took the
> car out for a test drive and the brake system starts building
up
> pressure until the brake lights and brakes are fully on and the car
over
> heats and will not move. If I let it sit, eventually the pressure will
> release and the car will roll. I don't know
if
> the brakes will build up pressure, if I don't use them, because I
live
> on
> hill side and need to use the brakes. Point is if I could just get in
> the car and drive without touching the brakes will they build up
> pressure??
>
> Well this is the dilemma! Any-one ever had this problem! I would
like to
> know what the solution might be. Thanks
Roger Colson
sassamon@mediaone.net