TR6 ring-gear

To: "Triumphs@autox. team. net" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 ring-gear
From: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 00:53:06 -0400
I have a problem with my TR6, but would also like to pose a question.  My
car would not start occasionally and I figured it was the starter, but upon
further examination with the starter off I noticed the ring gear has been
pushed backwards.  Also noticed that the ring gear is installed backwards.

Question:  was told that all TR6's were incorrectly done this way at the
factory since the TR4's starter engaged at the rear and the factory never
changed the spec.

Anyone heard this or is this an urban myth?