Re: TR6 Radio Antenna

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Radio Antenna
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 12:17:30 -0400
David Massey wrote:

> Message text written by "Rick Murray"
> The replacement is a fairly universal type I purchased from Moss.
> Has anybody out there replaced one of these before?  I'll appreciate any
> help!
> <
>
> Rick,
>
> I can't speak for your particular antenna but most of them install and
> de-install from the top side for just this reason.  There is a nut
> (disguised to look like anything but a nut) at the base of the antenna.
> Removing that will allow the device inside the fender to be swung into a
> position that will allow it to be withdrawn from the one inch hole in the
> fender.  No access to the inside is necessary.
>
> This does not hold true for electric (retracting) antennae (antennas).
>
> Dave Massey
> St. Louis, MO USA
> 57 TR3 (no antennas)
> 71 TR6 (Manual antenna)
> 80 TR8 (Electric, automatic retracting antenna mounted in the boot)

Rick,

Gently remove the chrome strip from the rocker area, undo the three Acme thread
bolts that attach the bottom of the front fender.  Remove the carpeted trim pad
from inside the footwell.  Remove the three 1/4-28 bolts that run forward,
parallel to the door from inside the hinge pockets.  You can now prise the
fender
clear for access from the bottom without undoing any fasteners along the top of
the fender.  You'll get about 8 - 10" of access to reach up in and grab the nut
-
should be more than enough.  While you're in there, clean out all the muck that
gets trapped between the inner and outer fender.

Good luck!

Brian Schlorff
Power British
1242 East Ridge Pike