PETER - Re: TR3 seat springs

To: "Arakelian, Peter" <arakelianp@mossmotors.com>, " TR list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: PETER - Re: TR3 seat springs
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 01 08:46:41 -0700
Peter - Good e-mail...

Now if only John Skinner would properly finish the springs before
shipping them to you.

The John Skinner seat springs I received from your company had a patina
of surface rust.  I needed to sand blast what I could and hit the rest
with phosphoric acid and refinish before installing them.

Changing the subject:  Is there anyway you could get Vandervell to make a
run of TR3-4A bearings with the original construction?  The bearings that
came in all TR-2 through TR-6s were lined with Vandervell's famous VP-2
material. This is a tri -metal lining consisting of sintered copper on a
steel shell with a lead- indium alloy layer on top of that and finally a
tin plated layer on top. These bearings have good imbeddebility, very
high load carrying capacity, and are somewhat tolerant of misalignment
and momentary losses of oil pressure. These are great bearings! They are
rated for carrying loads of up to 10,500 psi.

Current Vandervell bearings are glacier type bearings with two layer
bearings that consist of an aluminum bearing alloy on top of a steel
back. If all conditions are perfect they work very well. They do NOT have
good embeddebility, are quite hard and are very unforgiving. If anything
goes wrong with the oiling system, or there is any misalignment, they
will instantly fail and wipe out the crank journal. Their load carrying
capacity is about 6,500 psi.

If you guys can have a run made up and advertise it I bet people in the
know would line up with shopping carts.  You would probably see service
shops stocking up.  I would pick up several sets myself for future use.

TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
webmaster@overlander.net      search engine optimization, graphics
                              and more

http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html