Re: tr3 early vs. later starter

To: richard triplett <rtriplett25@yahoo.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tr3 early vs. later starter
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 15:02:34 -0500
>Quick question regarding starters. We had 3
>transmissions to pick through, and the one that looks
>best is an early transmission, with the bellhousing
>shaped to accomodate the long-nose starters. The bolt
>holes appear to be similiar for both models of
>starters, so I got to wondering if I can put the later
>(and considerably cheaper) starter on this
>transmission. Any ideas?

Yes, AFAIK you can put the later starter on, with only this issue:
you will need to either use a late flywheel, or take an early
flywheel and reverse the ring gear.  The reason is that the late
starter's teeth engage on the opposite side from the early
"bull-nose" type, and the ring gear teeth are beveled on only one
side.

Technically, it will still work if you don't have the bevel on the
correct side, but I'll bet you would chew through starter gears and
ring gears pretty quickly.

HTHJ,
Dan
--
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1957 TR3, TS15098L, now with an O!  Undergoing frame-off restoration
begun 9/99.  Currently awaiting warm weather and funds.

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U, with an O.  In need of a comprehensive
restoration (again); will probably become a Spit6 or a Spit8.

Visit the Team.Net Triumph list member pages at:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html
Photos, downloads, member bios, and more!