Head Gasket

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Head Gasket
From: Ct54531@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 14:39:36 EDT

Replacing head gasket on 65 4A. Haynes manual makes the comment that if the
gasket says 'top' on one side, put that side up. This one doesn't say but it
does have a smooth edged side and a side with a "lip" on it. My inclination
is smooth side down. Correct?
Also, I note that both Haynes and the Ken Ball Owners Workshop Manual state
that the head bolts should be torqued to 100-105 ft lbs. But on page 48 of
Haynes it talks about 45 ft lbs. Now, I KNOW that, when I took them off they
were torqued to more than 45 but I'm curious if that's just a typo or am I
missing something.
Finally, any good (or harm) done by using sealant with the head gasket? I'm
inclined not to since there was none there before but -- sometimes opinions
and/or techniques change over time.
Thanks.

Jim
CT54531L