Re: Head Gasket

Subject: Re: Head Gasket
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 12:45:25 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
The Haynes misprint must have been corrected in later printings, both my
1980 and 1986 versions say 100-105 ft-lbs on page 48.

The original TR2 factory service manual says to use "Wellseal" or
equivalent on the head and upper cylinder liner surfaces "te ensure a
proper life for the gasket".  But during all the troubles I've had with
leaking head gaskets, I've never drawn any correlation between gasket
dressing and sealing.  If it's mechanically right (liners evenly proud
of the block by the right amount, studs not stretched, head flat, etc.),
it seems to always seal.  If the liners don't stand up evenly (as mine
don't), no dressing (that I've tried) will compensate.

IMO it doesn't matter which way the gasket goes, that's why it has a
duplicate hole for the rocker oil feed at the front.  I've tried both
ways, with no apparent difference.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver - with homemade copper O-rings in the head gasket