Re: Starting over with a TR4

To: "Riff Brown" <mrcstnr@excite.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starting over with a TR4
From: "Don Sforza" <dsforza@megahits.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 20:23:05 -0400
Like anything else, Riff, start with the obvious:

1. Brakes and suspension all around... all bushings, seals, bearings (not the
diff bearings, yet) ball joints, tie rod ends, trunnions, rear spring bushes,
shocks (new in front, rebuild rears at White Post or Apple hydraulics). Throw
out the brake pads and rotors (new rotors are a blessing in disguise), turn the
rear drums, NEW wheel cylinders, new brake shoes and pads, rebuild front
calipers (stainless pistons). New springs all around wouldn't hurt... better now
than after you've got it all back together.

2. Check all parts you're NOT replacing for straightness and fit. Bead blast all
parts, paint with any number of rust resistant paints on the market... POR-15 is
good.

3. replace ALL ignitions parts that you can reasonably replace... points wires,
rotor, cap, condenser, coil, low tension lead; have distributor checked for
wobble in the shaft. Buy a new battery.

4. Have carbs PROFESSIONALLY rebuilt... again White Post or Apple Hydraulics.
New throttle shafts are probably needed and this is NOT a job for a backyard
mechanic.

5. Remove and have pressure tested the radiator; buy a new radiator cap... also
a new SMITHS thermostat. Remove and buy new ALL hoses, belts and clamps. Replace
the sump gasket and the valve cover gasket. New oil filter, new oil. Adjust the
valves.

6. Have the generator rebuilt and tested.  Make sure you polarize it before you
scream about the "crooks" who took your money. Same for the starter. Rebuild the
fuel pump. While you're at it, disconnect the fuel line at the gas tank and
either replace the fuel line completely, or flush out the line with carb
cleaner.

That's a start. That took up the first three months of a five year rebuild. The
next ten years were spent enjoying the car and refining the driving experience.

HAVE FUN!!!

7. You can probable "get away with" not replacing the clutch... but keep in mind
that it COULD happen. Not a serious expense.. but a real bother to pull the
tranny.

8. Take apart and clean with a fine emery EVERY FREAKIN' ELECTRICAL CONNECTION
YOU CAN FIND. Lights, gauges, etc. Have the regulator checked if possible.

Don Sforza                     dsforza@megahits.com        KA1WV
3/4 Morgan Group        1966 '4/4'  V  Competition        B1290
CT Triumph Register          1974 Triumph TR6        CF25689U