RE: Found In Oil Pan

To: "Don Clark" <d@seanet.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Found In Oil Pan
From: "Ken Gano" <triumphs@mcleodusa.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:04:02 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net [mailto:owner-triumphs@autox.team.net]On
Behalf Of Don Clark
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2001 6:24 PM
To: Triumph List
Subject: Found In Oil Pan

Today I pulled the oil pan to replace my thrust washers on my 1972 TR6. I
didn't find the thrust washers inside of it but I did find a machine screw.

The screw is about 1/4" long, it is a 10-28 size with a Phillips oval head.
There are only five threads on the screw, and it doesn't appear that it has
broken off. It also appears to not have hit much on it's way down to the
oilpan as there are no nicks or scrapes on it.

Since I have never had one of these engines apart I have no idea where the
screw could have come from. Anyone care to guess where it might be from? My
first guess is the rocker shaft, but I recall seeing a setscrew there the
last time that I checked the valves.

Assuming that when I check I have all of the screws in the rocker shaft, is
this something that I should worry about? The car runs fine, has good oil
pressure and doesn't use that much oil and I don't want another boondoggle
anytime soon. Plus the screw was stuck in the gunk as if it had been there
for a while so I guess that the car is fine without it. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Don Clark
Seattle, WA

One other thing. I sent my tachometer to MO-MA for a repair last Tuesday and
it arrived this Monday. It looks great and I can't wait to see it work again
once I'm back on the road.

Just a guess, but it sounds like the screw that holds the points plate on.
I suppose it could have worked it way that far down.

Kg