RE: Found In Oil Pan

To: "Don Clark" <d@seanet.com>, " Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Found In Oil Pan
From: "Eric Conrad" <conrade@qwest.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 18:04:44 -0600
Well, that, sir, is the spare screw that holds the rocker shaft from turning
during operation.  Factory workers placed it there in case you required a
spare.  Not unlike the spare keys in the rear passenger tail lights of
Triumph Heralds.

All right, I'm just pulling your leg about the spare business!  I've been
through my engine during disassembly and reassembly, and found only one
screw like the one you described - on the rocker shaft.  I also had one in
my oil pan, like you described.  It looks like it was either lost sometime
during operation, or during rocker shaft refurbishment.  My guess is that
your previous owner found that screw missing, and replaced it.

Eric
CF52678U  +O