Re: POR15 and epoxy primer

To: wallaces@superaje.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: POR15 and epoxy primer
From: Raymond Hatfield <iron_horse819@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:14:44 -0700 (PDT)
--- wallaces@superaje.com wrote:

> a) I know this subject has had a lot of airplay but I don't recall anyone
> commenting on this particular aspect: will epoxy primer stick to a layer of
> POR15? This may sound like a weird idea but I do have a reason - I expect to
> be
> cleaning up my frame in stages, and I don't want to leave bare parts exposed
> the humid air for long, so want to put something on right away. Plus, I have
> heard many positive things about epoxy primer and imagine it's good and tough
>
> protection from things like spraying gravel.

POR15 is excellent protection by itself ... I had to use a wire wheel in a
grinder and some patience to remove some that had dripped onto aa dirty,
unprepared trailing arm.  To answer your question, I'm not sure epoxy primer
will stick directly to the POR, but they(POR) do make a primer that will bond
to POR15 and then accept any (including self-etching) primer or paint over the
top of it.

> b) Another thought: is there a reason to paint over epoxy primer, besides
> cosmetics?

I don't know about epoxy primers, but regular primers aren't durable and are
very porous to moisture.

=====
Raymond L. Hatfield
'65 TR4A IRS, O/D, SAH Tuned