Prince of Darkness vs. Dan's Book

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Prince of Darkness vs. Dan's Book
From: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:44:21 -0500
The left turn signal on my 71 TR6 stopped working.  No surprise, after all
it's 30 years old, just got to figure out why.  (The right signal works just
fine.)

First, I checked the bulbs, both ok, however I cleaned them and the sockets
up real good.  Tried the signal again, no blinky, blinky.

Ok, now it's time to get Dan's book and check the trouble shooting
procedures.  I bring the book and my meter out and set them on the car.  All
the sudden, blinky, blinky from the left turn signal.  I didn't touch a
thing, why now?  Must be a bad connection somewhere and I bumped the car
when setting the stuff down.  I check the bullet connectors for the front
and back signals, ok, nothing special, but ok.  I make sure the rear socket
if firmly in place.  Signals still working just fine.  Don't know what I
did, but if it works what more can you ask for?

Next morning I drive to work, first left turn, no blinky, blinky.  Better
check it again tonight.  Get home, bring the book and meter out, blinky,
blinky from the left turn signal again.  Again, I didn't touch a thing!!!!
Why does it work when I try to trouble shoot, but not when I'm driving?  I
check the bayonet connectors at the light again and this time clean them up
pretty good.

Next day I drive to work, left turn signal blinky, blinky fine the first
couple times, then no blinky, blinky.  Now I'm getting frustrated.  Get
home, bring out the book and meter, you guessed it, blinky, blinky no
problem.

I have determined that the POD has seen Dan's book enough that he is scared
of the book.  Just the presence of the book is enough to ward off the POD.
I guess I'm just going to have to make the book a permanent fixture of the
car if I want left turn signals.

Oh, well I guess it could be worse!  Just need to get a big zip lock bag to
keep the book in.

Life is good, and the weather is perfect for TR driving.

Ken