Re: Spit O/D tranny rebuild needed

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spit O/D tranny rebuild needed
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 01:37:58 +0100
Hi Paul
I don't know about the other questions but ALL gears should be hardened, the
forces involved would destroy unhardened gear teeth, I would also be wary of
gears claiming to be harder than standard, as extra hardening could lead to
problems with brittleness. Gears will generally only be case hardened to a
depth, if someone is offering gears with deeper case then they could be ok
but I would not use fully hardened gears.
I write this from general engineering principles not knowledge of the exact
product you are looking at.

Hope this helps.
Graham,
1967 1300 FWD