Re: Friday Herald Adventures...

To: kmr@pil.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Friday Herald Adventures...
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 22:21:50 EDT
In a message dated 4/13/2001 4:11:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kmr@pil.net
writes:

> For all of you who passed on this Herald, well Andy got a great deal!  Every
> panel is straight, ONE dent in the bonnet, since it sat so long rust was
> kept to a minimum.  Andy even believes the tyres are original (sure looked
> it).

Well, one of them is for sure. The other four probably date from about
1964-5. :-)

  > ...the Herald rolled very easily out of the spot it has occupied for
> more than 20 years....

Slight correction here: that should be 30 years! And for a car that sat so
long on a dirt floor, it's truly amazing that I had almost no trouble
removing the screws that hold the brake drums on. Good thing, since all four
drums had to come off to free up the wheels.

  > I took about ten photos... they're at:
> http://www.radickemedia.com/herald/

Great shots! Thanks, Kai, for posting them so quickly!

> All in all a nice day, and got to take the TR6 out to escort the dead
> Herald.  Although it seems some sort of TR6 starting problem has crept back
> up... I'll investigate that later.

Hmm, must be contagious. The trusty Explorer tow vehicle (now 185,000 miles
and counting) balked once or twice today during attempts to start it, but
both times in then caught and was ok after.

BTW, the car looks much better now that it went through a "feed in quarters
and spray it yourself" car wash. Still an awful lot of red paint underneath,
but not much gold left on the valve cover. Oh, and I got the original bill of
sale from the dealer, along with two original sets of keys on dealer fobs,
PLUS a spare set (with the receipt from the key cutter way back then)! Hard
to believe I'm only the second owner of this car.

The chassis definitely will need outriggers on the left side, since there is
nothing to which to mount the LR suspension trailing arm.

--Andy (now SIX Heralds and counting....)

Andrew Mace, President, The Vintage Triumph Register
<www.vtr.org>