TR6 vacuum advance (may be a DQ)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 vacuum advance (may be a DQ)
From: "Boothroyd, Frank" <Frank.Boothroyd@northatlantic.nf.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 15:49:14 -0230
Hi folks.

I'm afraid I've got what may be a horribly DQ (Dumb Question) about my TR6's
vacuum advance and I'm hoping one of you will help me out.

Does my car actually have a vacuum advance?  Or is it a vacuum retard?  My
mechanic said "advance" but when I got ready to order a new one on-line, the
catalog gave me no option - TR6 72 to 76 take a retard unit.  My car's a 73.
I've done my homework, by the way.  I went to the archieves and looked up
"vacuum".  After going through the 195 responses I'm a tad fuzzy... my
vacuum thingy is located on the distributor - I thought the archieves told
me that the vacuum retard is near the radiator (!?).

Also - I will soon be installing a Crane XR700 ignition - does this still
require the vacuum thing?  My mechanic was making noises that it may not (he
hadn't read the Crane manual yet - he had just finished mig welding and we
were calling it a day by that point).

As usual, any help will be appreciated.
Cheers,
Frank