TR6 vacuum advance (may be a DQ)

To: "Boothroyd, Frank" <Frank.Boothroyd@northatlantic.nf.ca>
Subject: TR6 vacuum advance (may be a DQ)
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:24:58 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Boothroyd, Frank"
>Does my car actually have a vacuum advance?  Or is it a vacuum retard?  My
>mechanic said "advance" but when I got ready to order a new one on-line,
the
>catalog gave me no option - TR6 72 to 76 take a retard unit.  My car's a
73.
>I've done my homework, by the way.  I went to the archieves and looked up
>"vacuum".  After going through the 195 responses I'm a tad fuzzy... my
>vacuum thingy is located on the distributor - I thought the archieves told
>me that the vacuum retard is near the radiator (!?).

Frank, the TR6 came with either the vacuum retard unit or both advance and
retard.  If you have just one vacuum unit then you have a retard.  It
should connect to a port on the bottom of one carb very near the throttle .
 This port will apply vacuum only when the throttle is closed and timing
reverts to nominal once the throttle is opened even a little bit.

>Also - I will soon be installing a Crane XR700 ignition - does this still
>require the vacuum thing?  My mechanic was making noises that it may not
(he
>hadn't read the Crane manual yet - he had just finished mig welding and we
>were calling it a day by that point).

The XR700 only replaces the points and any vacuum timing devices that were
extant should remain so.  The electronic ignition system replaces the
points and eliminates the maintenence related there to.

Hope this helps.

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO USA
71 TR6 (with both advance and retard) (it's not supposed to)