Re: TR6 vacuum advance (may be a DQ)

To: "Boothroyd, Frank" <Frank.Boothroyd@northatlantic.nf.ca>
Subject: Re: TR6 vacuum advance (may be a DQ)
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 11:50:01 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Frank :

A 73 (North American specification) TR6 should have only vacuum retard,
no vacuum advance.  The actual retard unit is mounted to the
distributor, and looks exactly like an advance unit.  The only visual
difference is which way it is mounted.  The thing near the radiator is a
vacuum switch that controls the retard (disabling it when the engine
gets hot).

Which ignition you use has nothing to do with whether you need the
retard or not.  As long as the ignition is triggered from the point cam
(eg not a crank trigger unit), the retard will affect it.  This includes
the XR700.

IMO, the only reason you need the retard is for emissions.  It is active
only at idle.  The only issue with simply disabling it (besides flunking
emission visual tests) is that it will raise the idle speed and you may
not be able to adjust it back down.  It's true, without the retard, the
switch in the radiator will no longer be able to raise the idle speed to
counteract overheating at idle.  But it's also true that without the
retard, the engine is much less likely to overheat at idle.  I can't
quite imagine why anyone would let their engine idle that long without
shutting it off, anyway.

Randall