Re: anti-seize on brake lines

To: pethier@isd.net, bradlnss@lightspeed.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: anti-seize on brake lines
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 07:53:46 EDT
In a message dated 4/16/01 11:15:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, pethier@isd.net
writes:

<< From: Brad Eells <bradlnss@lightspeed.net>

 >Here is a suggestion. Permatex has a paste Teflon sealant that is designed
 >for such purposes. I used Teflon tape the last time I had my brakes apart.

 Here is another suggestion:  Don't use sealants on threads that are not
 meant to seal, like those on brake fittings. >>

The intent isn't to use the Teflon sealant to prevent leaks.  It is to
prevent the threads from rusting together or sticking.

>From the late 70's onward GM used Teflon tape on it's flared fuel line
fittings to prevent sticking.  ( The fuel filter on a carbed GM engine is
located behind the fuel inlet line and is subject to frequent removal.)

For a brake line app, all we are really concerned with are the first few
exposed threads and the exposed portion of the steel line where it enters the
flare nut.  If we can seal this area our problems are solved.
Harold