Herald Performance...

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Herald Performance...
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 19:32:07 -0400
Here's one for those with the numbers running in their heads...

I am trying to figure how to tweak the performance of my 12/50 powered Herald.
According to my sources, this engine already came with the Spitfire cam, so I
needn't worry about that. I understand the difference between the Spitfire
engine and that of the Herald is mainly the head.

Now, I have the Spitfire cam, and the Herald head, and dual carbs. (SU HS2's)
Theoretically, very close to the Spitfire. However, the Spitfire has smaller
valves. So I should be getting more air on the intake. Conversely, the Herald
head has lower compression. So I have figured that a Spitfire would have lower
air intake and higher compression.

What I want is a little higher top speed, without having to change the factory
gearing in the differential, as then I'd have to change also the speedo drive
gearing.

If I were to get the Herald head shaved, to increase compression, and given
its larger breathing dynamic, would this give greater power than just swapping
over the Spitfire head? Would this potential increase in power give me the
result I seek? And how much shaving would be required?

Also, I understand from my correspondent at Rimmer there was offered a  turbo
or supercharger at the time these cars were new, and they were a fairly common
occurrence. Has anybody seen one? How would install, and could one be cobbled
up easily?

Thanks for any answers or replies,
Scott
64 Herald./Sports 1200 Convertible