TR6 Cap bolts

To: d@seanet.com
Subject: TR6 Cap bolts
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:26:56 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi,

I too have searched in vain for main cap bolts for TR6. I've been using
ones that I pull from core motors while I search for a cure.

There is probably an ARP _stud_ that could be used for this purpose, as
they have a great selection of studs available.

I would not use grade 8 bolts for a number of reasons, not the least of
which is that the untreaded portion of grade 8 stuff might not be a proper
fit into the bore of the main cap. The result is that the cap could wiggle
a bit and that, as I'm sure you can guess, is a bad thing.

Last point - if you do use used TR6 bolts for this purpose, take care that
you use the appropriate bolt for your application. The early TR6's used a
lock washer that was eliminated in the later motors... the crossover
appears to be about CC50000, according to the motors that I have played
with (a small smaple of about 6 or 7 motors). At any rate, the early style
bolts are a "smidge" longer owing to the additional length required for the
lock washer. These will bottom out in the bore of the later blocks,
resulting (obviously) in improper torque or even worse thread failure in
the block.

If you use an early bolt - use it with the appropriate washer, BUT better
still, use the later bolts as there was a factory tech advisory that the
new bolts should be substituted when rebuilding early motors.

I'm guessing that the "big three" don't carry the bolts because the demand
is fairly low. If you must replace them, a source like ARP or one of the
higher tech AN/MS/NASA type suppliers would be able to help you out.

regards,
rml