Re: Gear Reduction Starters

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gear Reduction Starters
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:35:36 -0400
Hi Adrian,

I have one of these gear reduction starters on my TR6 race car. It's a
wonderful thing. It turns over my 11:1 motor without effort, well, when the
battery is okay. But I digress.

The starter itself appears to be from Hitachi, although I cannot confirm
that as there are no tages anywhere on the body of the starter.

The key for this application is that somebody has taken the time to make an
adapter to mate the starter to whatever your application is.

I'll be bold and suggest that you should purchase one of these starters
from one of the suppliers and support thier efforts. I'll also toss in that
I recall somebody mentioning something about a patent or something like
that. I'm guessing that unless you just happen to be a CNC machinist that
you'll probably spend more money on machine work than the whole starter
ready to bolt in might cost if you just buy it.

But I've been labelled a cynic by some, so take this with a grain of salt.

Later,
rml