Re: Lucas Fault Finding Manual Latest Update-LONG WINDED ADDITION

To: dixie4@wales.freeserve.co.uk, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lucas Fault Finding Manual Latest Update-LONG WINDED ADDITION
From: LaJoMor@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:42:25 EDT
Adrian....
I think you may be correct on a statement at the end of your message..."Are
they selling photocopies in the first place?"

I think there is a THIRD possibility though. 'They' (aka MOSS) may indeed be
selling 'reprinted' copies of the original item. As an example...I have a
TR250/TR6 Competition Preparation Manual that is printed on coated (ie shiny)
paper stock. It is printed, not photocopied, but it is NOT an ORIGINAL copy.
The original was printed in 1968, my copy was revised in 1980. I won't go
into long descriptions of the offset printing method here but suffice to say
the dead give away is the photos (halftones)have darkened and 'filled in'
because they were reproduced from something other than the original
generation negative. There is also a critical difference between
'photocopied' (Xerox, etc) and offset printing.

Don't get me wrong...I too agree that it is inexcusable (if not bordering on
illegal) for someone to be representing something as an 'original' when it is
nothing more than a photocopy made at the local Quick Print. But, since the
copyrights have long since expired on much (if not all) 60s and 70s
literature it should be fairly obvious that there is a very, very high
possibility that someone is selling a 'copy' not an original OR, in the case
of my Comp Prep. Man., a revised edition, offset printing. Whenever I see an
item on e-bay that is offered as an 'original' and I know the piece must 30+
years old I am automatically suspicious. Especially printed material...This
is where 'caveat emptor' comes in...

I also think messages and concerns such as you have posted are of tremendous
value to the uninformed. I have learned volumes from this list and welcome
messages such as yours.

Larry M