Re: Exhaust Theory

To: Pat Mullen <pmullen@telus.net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust Theory
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 15:02:47 -0600
Cc: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Pat Mullen wrote:

> Listers,
>
> A good book on the subject fleshes out Douglas's points. It is the third
> edition of "Scientific Design of Exhaust & Intake Systems" by the late
> Philip H. Smith and John C. Morrison (both professional automobile
> engineers), pub. in 1971 by G.T.Foulis & Co.

Note that the rights to this book are now owned by Robert Bentley,
Publishers, and may still be available from them:

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/

I say "may," as they often have books listed on their site which are no
longer in print, or for which they have no stock on hand and no planned
reprint date.

As a sort of review, lots of theory in this book, I consult it fairly
frequently (I've had a copy for about fifteen years), but the
interpretation of the data is still one's own. There are general
guidelines distilled from the test data and the existing theory, but do
not expect any Triumph-specific information.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

`70 GT6+ (being refurbished, slowly)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (organ donor)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (daily driver)
`64 TR4 (awaiting intensive care)
`80 TR7 (3.8 liter Buick-powered)
`86 Nissan 300ZX (the minimal-maintenance road car)
`68 VW Type II Camper (Lancia twin-cam powered, but feeling its age....)

Remember:  Math and alcohol do not mix... do not drink and derive.