frame sandblasting/painting/powdercoating questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: frame sandblasting/painting/powdercoating questions
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 17:40:36 -0500
I spent a good portion of the day on Wednesday and today getting my
TR3 frame ready for beautification - first scraping off lump after
lump of greasy sand and dirt, then spraying it down with Simple
Green, scrubbing, rinsing, and repeating.

I think my neighbors think I'm nuts. ;)

Anyway - I've got it pretty well clean, and it's noticeably rustier
than I had thought it was.  All surface rust, but some is pretty
heavy.

I'm planning on having it sandblasted ... what do I need to do first?
I've covered the front suspension pivots with heavy duct tape.  What
else?

And afterward?  I'll have to stand it upright and shake the sand out for sure.
I know lots of list members swear by POR-15 ... do I brush that on?
Spray it?  Where do I buy it?

Or (Here it comes, Fred!) do I take the whole thing to the one
industrial powdercoating joint listed in the Yellow Pages here in
D.M.?  What might I expect that to cost?  Is it even possible to p.c.
a whole TR3 frame?  Is it advisable?

Any advice appreciated!

Dan

'57 TR3 (TS15098L ... O) project moving forward once again.