RE: What if?

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: What if?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 17:22:23 -0700
Cosmo :

The answer depends on the characteristics of your charger.

1. A 'smart' charger would have simply detected the wrong polarity and shut
down.  No harm no foul, except your battery hasn't been being trickle
charged for the last 2 months.

2. A less smart charger will probably have destroyed itself (blown fuse or
blown rectifier, etc.) without harming the battery.

3. A dumb enough charger will have run your battery down flat (at a rate of
0.5 amps), which will very likely have ruined it (the battery) by now.

A quick check of battery voltage should tell you which of these three
options.  Check first with the charger disconnected, if the voltage is above
11 volts or so that eliminates 3.  If not, the battery is probably toast.
Now connect the charger, wait a few seconds, and check the voltage again.
If it has risen, that probably eliminates 2.

Randall