TR4 Fan Belt Installation, other Questions

To: "Freeman, Noah" <Noah.Freeman@Bain.com>
Subject: TR4 Fan Belt Installation, other Questions
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 13:37:14 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Freeman, Noah"
>-What I did- I carefully whittled out two of hte cogs on the belt, which
made it narrow enough in one spot to fit between the cranskshaft and the
rack adn pinion- was this OK?   Is this a terrible idea? (I have another
belt to replace it with if this was a terrible move)

-What is the correct (non whittling) mehtod for getting the fan belt past
the rack and pinion?  Remove the fan (and radiator)?  Move the rack and
pinion (aggh!)?
<

Noah,

I resorted to this whittling technique once.  It got me home.  I probably
could have driven many more miles like that but decided to set it right.  I
ended up taking loose on engine mount and lifting the engine the required
amount to let the belt pass.

I no longer own the TR4.  It was destroyed in an accident.   I bought a TR6
to replace it.  One would think that with the necessity to redesign the
shock towers and the cross brace Triumph would have rectified this
situation on the TR5/6.  But no.  Same same.  One belt and it's a PITA.
Moral: change the belt often so you don't have to change it on the road.

Dave