RE: Rear Main Seal Leak

Subject: RE: Rear Main Seal Leak
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 16:36:16 -0700
Cc: "Triumph Newsletter (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Justin :

Ken Gillanders (the author of that article) is the sole proprietor of
British Frame and Engine :

4831 N. Ryland Ave
Temple City, CA  91780

You can email him at BFEKENG@aol.com or call him at (626) 443-0939.  Of
course he would undoubtedly prefer that you bought your seal from him, but I
believe he will answer your questions even if you bought from someone else.

Ken has certainly done more than one of these, and I'm certain _he_ didn't
do them with the engine still in the car, unless it was at the racetrack.

I believe the pan does have to be off.  I would assume that Ken's "Morgen
mechanic" fabricated some other means of supporting the rear of the engine,
besides sticking a jack under the pan.

For example, you could pull the pan with the transmission still supporting
the engine, then put a 4x4 and a jack stand under the engine while you
remove the transmission.  Another way would be to hook up a hoist to the
rear of the engine, just like you were planning to pull it out.  Neither of
these is exactly recommended practice, but desperation sometimes causes
people to resort to things that they wouldn't normally do ...

I'm not sure who the Morgen mechanic was, although I have my suspicions.
I'll be seeing a possible candidate in a few weeks, I'll ask him then <g>

Randall