Re: OD Switch Placement and Update

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OD Switch Placement and Update
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 19:00:09 +0100
Hi Brian
I have just this weekend rebuilt my O/D. More on that later, just catching
up on missed mails! Any how take a look at this site
http://www.team.net/www/healey/tech/big_hly/od/finespanner.html this is a
brilliant site, I did not have the gauge that is the best way to check
things but I had it all in bits and fitted new O ring seals etc. The bit you
need to reference is the bit about adjusting the lift of the ball, I used a
digital vernier, zeroed it on the top of the ball this then gives you a
direct reading of the lift of the ball (reseat it first by following the
workshop manual, or look in the archives, I think I sent in a transcript of
the procedure some time back [sorry not in my folders any more!] ) I set
mine to 0.048" it now works a treat. the other thing I did whilst I had easy
access to the solenoid was clean the contacts under the plastic cover, under
the rubber boot. This changed things the most at a guess. Prior to the
cleaning, the meter on the battery charger used to energise the solenoid was
showing about 5 amps, dropping to about 4 amps (visible drop no numbers
below 5). After cleaning the contacts the meter was pegged at full scale
deflection, until it engaged then dropped to the same approx 4 amps. I test
drove the car last night and the O/D is magic, well worth all my effort.
Graham,
1967 1300 FWD
1968 2000 Saloon
1972 2.5PI Saloon