Modifying tools, was Re: Spit Carb removal

To: "Spit List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Modifying tools, was Re: Spit Carb removal
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 19:29:43 +0100
Hi Folks
I second that emotion, Don't be afraid to bend, grind, cut-down any tool,
it's yours isn't it, adjust it to make your life easier, the only thing I
would say is to use a good quality tool, especially spanners (wrenches) as
they are less likely to spread, split snap etc. In fact if you get a good
one it may already be thin enough to do the job you want, good tools are
often made of better grade materials, so can be lighter and still as strong!
Also if you are grinding a tool keep it cool, if you let it get hot enough
to spit when you plunge it in water you will probably have removed some of
the hardness, tools are hardened and tempered to give a specific
characteristic to the material, too hard = brittle, too much tempering =
toffee tools, hardened and tempered just right  = good tool!
What I usually end up doing is modifying my good tool (usually late Saturday
or Sunday) and replacing it with equal quality the next time I am at the
trade store!

Graham, Tool Maker!
1967 1300 FWD
1968 2000 Saloon