To restore or not to restore?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: To restore or not to restore?
From: "Evan Johnstone" <eeesjay@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 15:31:54 -0400 FILETIME=[60DD0D00:01C0D275]
I've been lurking for quite some time, but I think it's time I show my
(virtual) face and pose the most general of questions to the list:  to
restore or not to restore. I'll open the can of worms and explain the
situation:  I have a 59 TR3A I've inherited from my father, who long ago
began a half-hearted attempt at restoration.  Off came the bonnet, the front
wings, and...then...he discovered gardening, woodworking, etc.  It sat in a
state of disrepair in a dark and dusty corner of his garage for the last ten
years or so, until he decided he'd either trash it or give it to me.  I've
had the notion to tackle this project for the past few years and I'm finally
working up the courage to begin, but I want to be warned by seasoned
veterans about what I'm about to start.  I believe the frame and most of the
sheet metal for the car are in decent shape, but the rest of it remains a
mystery. I know the engine has not seized, and that at some point the engine
was bored out. It looks to me as if  had also been in an accident, as there
are yellow grease pencil marks on the inside of the front wings (as if they
had been replaced), and the grill had been cut on either side to slip the
turn signal wires through without re-running the wires. I have no experience
in this type of project, so I've no notion of how much this will cost, how
long it will take, or whether my girlfriend will walk out the door in
exasperation halfway through the project.  So, based on this rather vague
and spotty e-mail, what are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Evan
Doylestown, PA
eeesjay@hotmail.com