Re: Tubeless Tires & Tubes?

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tubeless Tires & Tubes?
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 22:11:50 +0100
Hi John
I would agree with your tyre fitter, tubeless tyres have ridges on the
inside, where tube type tyres are smooth, I don't know the purpose of the
ridges in the tubeless tyres, it is probably something to do with the
manufacture process, easier to leave them in than remove them! It is these
ridges that chafe the tube, having had a tube in a tubeless tyre (on the
rear) blow out as a young passenger in the back of a car with a caravan on
the back and seen the fight my Dad had to keep it all together I would not
do this! My Dad is an experienced driver having held a PSV licence for 20
odd years I don't think the fight was due to lack of experience!
YMMV

Graham,
1967 1300 FWD
1968 2000 Saloon