Tubeless Tires & Tubes?

To: "'triumphmail lit'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tubeless Tires & Tubes?
From: john donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 11:53:30 -0700 teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f42IqtR05449
Hey List,
I stopped in yesterday at my local Discount Tires Co (www.tires.com) to inquire
about mounting and balancing some Michelins on my new chrome wires. Talked to
the manager, and he told me that "sure, we can balance them properly, but I
won't mount tubeless tires with a innertube." He mentioned something about
RTV'ing the insides where the nipples are, but refused to mount the tires due
to the chaffing.

What gives here? Does RTV adaquately seal the insides so you can mount tubeless
tires? Is there a safety concern re: tubes inside tubeless tires?

I seem to recall a thread on this some time ago. If so, is there a way to get
to the archive?

John in San Diego