Re: Restarting 15 year stopped GT6

To: <Ravewar@home.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Restarting 15 year stopped GT6
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 09:37:10 EDT
In a message dated Fri, 4 May 2001  4:36:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Rave
Racer" <Ravewar@home.com> writes:

<< As many of you may know I just went into Toronto to try and start a 15 year
parked '72 GT6.  I almost succeeded.  After preparing the motor to turn over I
cleaned off the plugs with a wire brush (which were still oily from when it was
prepared for parking) and held them against the head to see for spark.  There
was nothing.... >>

Did you clean the points? A quick pass or two with a file or even some
sandpaper often is enough to cut through the corrosion or oxidation on them
that comes from sitting so long.

<< I didn't even get started on the fuel system.  If I can get the spark how do
I find out if the carbs are providing enough fuel?  >>

Does this particular car still have the OEM-style fuel pump with a priming
lever? Try using that. Assuming there's fuel in the system and it can make its
way from tank all the way to the carbs, pump the lever until resistance goes
away. Again, if everything along the way is clear, chances are the carbs will
provide about as much fuel as they ever did (at least at the time the car was
last run). Chances are you'll need to go through them anyway, but I'll guess
they will do the job to get the car started.

--Andy Mace