Re: Restarting 15 year stopped GT6

To: <Herald948@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Restarting 15 year stopped GT6
From: "Rave Racer" <Ravewar@home.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 14:16:46 -0400
> << As many of you may know I just went into Toronto to try and start a 15
year parked '72 GT6.  I almost succeeded.  After preparing the motor to turn
over I cleaned off the plugs with a wire brush (which were still oily from
when it was prepared for parking) and held them against the head to see for
spark.  There was nothing.... >>

> Did you clean the points? A quick pass or two with a file or even some
sandpaper often is enough to cut through the corrosion or oxidation on them
that comes from sitting so long.

        Actually the cap, rotor and wires were all new when it was parked
and showed no sign of degradation.  BMC emailed me this morning and said
that the coil is only $30.  That's not to expensive to blow if it isn't the
coil so I'm gonna try that.

> << I didn't even get started on the fuel system.  If I can get the spark
how do I find out if the carbs are providing enough fuel?  >>

> Does this particular car still have the OEM-style fuel pump with a priming
lever? Try using that. Assuming there's fuel in the system and it can make
its way from tank all the way to the carbs, pump the lever until resistance
goes away. Again, if everything along the way is clear, chances are the
carbs will provide about as much fuel as they ever did (at least at the time
the car was last run). Chances are you'll need to go through them anyway,
but I'll guess they will do the job to get the car started.

        I'm not sure if it has it or not.  Like I said before, this is my
first brit car so I wasn't really looking.  Where would I find the fuel pump
and the priming lever?  If they are gummed up, is there something I can
spray in them to dissolve the fuel?

        Thankyou so much for your info.  Someday I hope to be able to answer
these kinds of questions for rookies myself.
                                        Pete.