Re: the welding thread (again!)

To: "TR Listserv" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: the welding thread (again!)
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 22:36:53 -0500
Douglas Frank wrote...

> Somewhere, some time ago, someone posted a message that led me to
> believe it's not hard to adapt your typical 115V hobbyist MIG
> machine to handle spot welding.

Miller makes a small all-in-one spot welder - just plug it in.  Several
sizes and lengths of tongs available to fit most of what you'd need.
Eastwood sells it, but you should be able to beat their price most anywhere
else.  ISTR that retail is about $400 and you should be able to get one in
the $300 range or less.  If you are interested and not in a hurry, I'd be
willing to check at the EAA Oshkosh fly-in.  Miller always offers great
factory-direct deals there, and although I don't think they usually show the
spot welder (it's not a typical aircraft construction tool) I believe they
would still have it available at a similar discount to the other stuff they
do show there.

And if anyone is interested in a MIG or TIG or etc. welder, both Miller and
Lincoln show at Oshkosh and the deals they offer are far better than you can
get anywhere else.  The fly-in is the week at the end of July/beginning of
August, and if anyone wants, contact me off-list and I will be happy to get
prices and info and put you in touch with the distributors selling the
welder you want.

Karl Vacek
'66 TR4A - IRS
'64 Amphicar