Re: welding re-send

To: triumphs@mcleodusa.net, frank@zk3.dec.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: welding re-send
From: DRSkruffy@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 12:40:46 EDT
In a message dated 5/5/01 5:50:20 AM !!!First Boot!!!, triumphs@mcleodusa.net
writes:

> I think a traditional "spot" weld is actually a resistance weld between two
> (usually) sheets of metal without any filler material.  As I understand the
> spot welding attachment for home MIG's it is more what used to be called
> stitch welds.  Intermittent beads.  Correct me if I'm wrong (as I often am

I have the same understanding of spot welds. In fact, I used to have a spot
welder, it was two tongs that created welds with the resistance between them.
The "spot" weld nozzle I have with mine basically allows you to press the
nozzle against the work because it holds it off the work about 1/4 inch. You
are supposed to punch a hole in the top piece of metal and fill it with what
I call a plug weld, facilitated by the nozzle being held the correct distance
from the work. Just pull the trigger.