Vibration in a 76 TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Vibration in a 76 TR6
From: Dane Connell <connells@intrepid.net>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 12:48:19 -0400
I have a '76 TR6.  I've done extensive work, replaced almost
everything.  New Daytons wire wheels, tires, four wheel alignment, etc.
I have a slight vibration at what seems to be varying speeds...  If it
were at just certain speeds, I'd suspect a wheel, tire, u-joint (they're
all
new...), but for example, I can go slightly under 60, solid as a rock.
Then when either accelerating, or decelerating TO 60, I get a little
wobble.  I suspect the rack mount.  The rack is new.  All mount
components are new.  when I observe the steering shaft/rack joint when
sitting in the garage, and I turn the wheel, there is a very slight
amount of 'play', horizontal movement.  Should the rack be rock solid?
I don't want to go the way of the MOSS hard mounts, I should not have
to.  I DO want to eliminate this vibration!

I believe I have the front bearings torqued correctly. I've compressed
the felt oil seals, and with the car lifted, there's no play when
grabbing the wheel at 6 and 12 positions...

Any help is greatly appreciated.  I am enjoying a new tranny with J-Type

overdrive I bought from Triumphs Only.  I cannot believe I drove so long

without one.

Dane Connell in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains, 1 hour from
Wash DC