Re: Sitfire question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sitfire question
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 06:52:41 +0100
In article <3.0.3.32.20010505223227.006fbc50@pop.pressenter.com>,
Dietmar Schlei <dschlei@pressenter.com> writes

>Hi List
>
>My 1963 TR4 just got a younger sibling!  Crazy me purhased a 1977 Spitfire
>1500.  Somebody at work had one for sale and I bought it.  It had the usual
>Lucas bad contact problems which I was able to fix (no blinker, horn,
>washer pump, wipers, overdrive, etc.).  However, the tach is not working
>and I have no idea where to start withit.

Dear Dietmar,

The rev counter on my '77 was only working intermittently when I got it,
and I traced the problem (thanks to the Spitfire mailing list) to a
loose fuse connection.

>  Does anybody know where the tach
>picks up its signal?

>From the coil, I think.

>  Wire location and color code?I have a wire pair
>wrapped with Scotch Tape comming out of the fire wall and splitting up at
>the ignition coil together with a wire connected to the coil and one
>connected to the brake switch.  I am talking about two white wires that are
>crimped together into aspate connector.  Any suggestion what they are there
>for?or need to be connected to?

My wiring notes are in the boot of my Spit, which is currently with my
friendly local mechanic. :-(   Check out Tom O'Malley's website which
includes a fantastic wiring diagram for a '78 US-spec Spitfire 1550:

        http://web.meganet.net/~tomomalley/spitpr78.jpg

ATB
Mike
--
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"
published by Greenhill Books on 28th March, 2001: