Re: TR6 buying tips

To: Paul Waite/Ontario/IBM <pwaite@ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 buying tips
From: Daniel Julien <dgjulien@swbell.net>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 13:51:59 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sun, May 06, 2001 at 12:34:09PM -0400, Paul Waite/Ontario/IBM wrote:
> looking at a '76 TR6 this afternoon. Are there any common areas that I
> should pay particular attention to in my inspection.

Paul,
Aside from the general things one would look for in any used car, here are a
few things peculiar to the TR6:

Check the portion of the frame where the rear trailing arms mount for rust.
This is the part of the frame that runs diagonally across the car just in front
of the rear wheel wells. This is a fairly common place for rust damage on the
frame to start, and unless you are planning a frame-off restoration, any
rust here is unacceptable from a safety standpoint. (Even if you are planning
a frame-off, you can probably start with something in better condition.)

While you are under there, check the rear differential mounting points on the
frame. When the rubber diff mounts deteriorate with age, they allow excessive
movement of the diff. This puts stress on the mounting points on the frame,
causing them to crack and then break. This is repairable, but difficult to get
at.

Another potentially expensive problem is lost thrust washers. The thrust
washers in the TR6 engine sometimes fall out. If this situation is not
attended to promptly, it can cause serious damage to the block. You can
check for this by watching the crank pulley for movement while someone steps
on the clutch. I don't remember what the tolerances are here, but essentially,
more than a hair of movement means "Stay away!"

Good luck in your search!

--
Dan Julien
1970 TR6 CC50337L